Seniors, if you want to apply to private schools, make sure you’re all ready to go with your Common Application. The Common App is just what it sounds like — there’s a common portion that all private schools requires. There is, however, an additional Supplemental Application that is specific to each school, and only the private school that requires it will read that. Due dates for the Common App vary per school, but most are due in January. Ms. Stacey, our College Advisor, has 5 tips to help you get started!
- Start early! (They take more time then you think.)
- Make sure you are doing all of the supplemental portions correctly.
- Have a teacher or counselor read over your essay and/or short answers before you turn it in.
- You will need a letter of recommendation from a teacher, so ask in a timely manner, not the week before.
- Don’t assume every private school is on the Common App!
For Common App tips by the application readers themselves, check out http://www.commonapp.org/whats-appening/college-counseling/college-application-tips-common-app-staff. Remember, Ms. Stacey is always ready to answer your college questions in Room 301 next to the Guidance Office, so don’t be afraid to stop by for some help with college applications. Good luck on those apps, seniors!