Fall break is a great time to rest up and welcome the holiday season with open arms, but for seniors, it’s also about finishing up UC and CSU applications and taking advantage of scholarship opportunities. With the help of our college advisor, Ms. Stacey, Argolog has compiled five scholarships that will be due from December through February that you can start working on this week (after you finish those college apps, of course). To the seniors who are confused in general about how scholarships work, Ms. Stacey has your answer: “Once students finish their scholarship applications, it is up to them to keep in touch to make sure that they are doing everything they need to do in order to receive their money. The institution they get their scholarship from will tell them how they are allowed to use their money (either towards tuition, housing, etc.), and hopefully it will be either put into their bank account or they will be given a check. It is still up the institutions how they receive everything as well.” On that helpful note, take a chance with one of these scholarships below!
The AXA Achievement Community Scholarship – $2500 – DUE 12/15/2016
- ONLY THE FIRST 10,000 APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED!
- United States citizens or legal residents living or claiming residency in one of the 50 U.S. states, District of Columbia or Puerto Rico.
- Current high school seniors who plan to enroll full-time in an accredited two- or four-year college or university in the United States by Fall 2017. Enrollment at an accredited postsecondary institution outside of the United States will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Ambitious and motivated, as evidenced by outstanding achievement in school, community, or work activities.
- Special consideration will be given to achievements that empower society to mitigate risk through education and/or action in areas such as financial, environmental, health, safety and/or emergency preparedness.
- Employees, financial professionals or immediate family members of employees, or financial professionals of the AXA Group, Scholarship America, or their affiliates, subsidiaries or advertising and promotion agencies, are not eligible to apply.
Hispanic Scholarship Fund – $500-$5,000 – OPENS Jan. 2017
- Must be of Hispanic Heritage
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent) for High School Students
- Plan to enroll Full-Time in an accredited not-for -profit 4 year university or graduate school during the FALL of scholarship cycle year
- U.S. Citizen, Permanent Legal Resident, DACA or Eligible Non-Citizen (as defined by FAFSA)
- Complete FAFSA or Complete state Dream Act financial aid application (if applicable)
- Merit-based scholarships available for undergraduate and graduate students
- All majors -Emphasis on STEM majors
- Apply online at https://apply.hsf.net/#/
The Angels Scholars Scholarship – amount varies – DUE 1/06/17
- 2 Deserving Students from GGHS
- MUST TURN IN AN INTEREST APPLICATION TO MRS. JOY PHAM IN THE GGHS GUIDANCE OFFICE BY THE DEADLINE!!! APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE IN THE GUIDANCE OFFICE.
- Established to provide financial aid to first-generation and low income students pursuing a college degree.
- Minimum Scholarship Requirements: 3.0 unweighted grade point average (cumulative grades 9-12), on track to complete the CSU/UC “A-G” requirements, entering college in the Fall of 2017
- The following are highly recommended: At least 1 AP, IB or college transferrable course (completion or currently enrolled), 50+ hours of community service in grades 9-12, at least 1 extracurricular and/or leadership activity, current and/or past enrollment in the AVID elective class
The Christermon Foundation Beverage Industry Scholarship – $2,000 to $5,000 – DUE 2/1/2017
- Requirements: student will attend an accredited US four-year college or university, beginning with the Fall 2016 term/semester and enrollment status of freshman/full-time (12+ units), participates in specific extra-curricular high school activities
- Include with your application a 8.5 x 11 typed, double spaced ESSAY (not to exceed 2 pages) to the following prompt:
“Include with your application a two page essay. Specific instructions will be given after you complete the application worksheet and click Generate my Application. You must include this 8.5 x 11 typed, doubled spaced essay that cannot exceed 2 pages. This essay will be closely evaluated for your on-topic submission, your attention to page setup and will account for 50% of the application process. It will be edited for impartiality and submitted for evaluation to a panel of twenty individuals. Essays will be critically evaluated for addressing the prompt. You will receive the prompts once you ‘GENERATE THE APPLICATION'”
- YOUR WELL-WRITTEN ESSAY, CLOSELY FOLLOWING THE REQUESTED PROMPT, WILL COUNT FOR 50% OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS.
- For more info: http://christermon.com/scholarship/overview.php
Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship – Four–year scholarships of up to $7,500 per year – DUE 2/15/2017
- To be eligible for a Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship, an applicant must be a graduating, minority high school senior; plan to attend an accredited and approved US four-year institution; show leadership potential; demonstrate a dedication to community service; present evidence of financial need; be a United States citizen; and have a minimum SAT score of 1,000 combined on the math and critical reading sections or a composite ACT score of 22
- The online application requires four essay questions and one letter of recommendation (e.g. a teacher, a mentor, a guidance counselor, an employer)
- For more info: http://www.jackierobinson.org/apply/programs.php